Home Pyramids
VIII. Pyramids
PDF Print E-mail

(Article forthcoming)  The small pyramids on the west side of Jebel Barkal, first scientifically excavated by George A. Reisner of the Harvard University-Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, expedition in 1916, indicate that the western flank of the mountain became the site of an important royal cemetery from the late Napatan to early Meroitic times (ca. 300 – 50 BCE).

Between 1995 and 1997, a team from the Fundacio Clos of Barcelona, Spain, under the direction of Francesca Berenguer renewed excavations in the Barkal cemetery and discovered two previously unknown royal tombs of the later Napatan Period. These are now thought to be cenotaphs (symbolic tombs) for the kings and queens buried at Nuri.